Monday, August 6, 2012

One Day Resident

Last week the kids and I went on a rescue mission.  

There was a strange, rattle like noise coming from the rose bushes.  It almost sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it.  I forgot about it for a little while, but later that day I took Manny out and saw the culprit.....

It was a baby Roadrunner!
I zipped inside and grabbed the camera.  I didn't want to disturb it or anything, but I wanted to get a few pictures before his mamma came and got him.

But, when I looked closer at him, I noticed that his left foot was broken.  I assume the cats got to him sometime in the morning.  They were looming in the distance even as I took these pictures.

Well, I couldn't let this cute little guy become a kitty snack, so I zipped back inside - updated the kids and we all headed out on a rescue mission.

Cute little guy!  He was making his little muffled "meep meep" sound.

Isabel named him Louey.
James ran to the mini barn and snagged our net.  Isabel chased off the kitties.  Wyatt talked softly to Louey and tried to keep him calm.  He was easy to net, and I knew he'd been left alone for quite some time.  He was very weak and tired.  :(

We walked him over to the little chicken coop (which is currently empty) and gave him a safe place to live.  We filled up a water pan for him and spread out a heaping amount of chicken scratch/food.  He seemed super uninterested, but we decided to give him a little while to get use to the place.

Sadly, he didn't make it but a few more hours.  He really just needed his momma.  Although, I was prepared to hand feed him grasshoppers and squished up bug parts, I really do think he was too far gone when we stumbled across him.  But at least I can find solace in the fact that he didn't become cat food!

2 comments:

mdm said...

You and the Kids should be proud of your rescue efforts. What a touching, beautiful story!!!!

Stephanie T said...

You have the most burturing family! I'm sorry the roadrunner didn't make it, but I'm sure your sweet kids will remember the amazing mom that you are!