Monday, October 8, 2012

A big Loss

I'm really sad to announce that my Daughter's beautiful tabby cat, Beauty, has died.  :-(  

I've had the cats living outside exclusively since I found out I was pregnant back in January.  They took to it really well.  Mostly they would prowl around the property and hunt up a few insects here and there.  It's only been recently that Beauty has become somewhat of an explorer.


She often times will cross the fence to the neighbor's place shortly after breakfast and not return until shortly before dinner.  But she's always within ear shot of my voice.

The other day, I found her hiding out under the front rose bushes.  A big fat rabbit was in her clutches.  She had somehow caught and killed the poor thing.  She spent a great deal of that morning dining on her kill.  Ick.  I remember thinking at the time that this could cause problems and bring her to hunt more and further away.

Well, she went missing over the weekend just as October was starting.  We didn't see her for 3 days.  I'd call to her each night at dinner time, but she was no where to be seen.  Our other cat, Shooter, rarely will ever leave the yard.  Occasionally if he tags along with Beauty, he'll cross the fence for a short time, but he always comes back.  Most of the time, you can find him laying on our patio chairs.  But Beaut - she's always enjoyed her outings.


Unfortunately, something happened to her on this most recent adventure.  She did return home, but she was in bad shape when we finally saw her again.  Last Tuesday morning I decided to walk the fence line calling for her just in case she was close but couldn't remember how to get home.  About 2 hours later (while we were planting the garden) she showed up by the chicken coops!  She was covered in burs and we could tell she'd been without food or water for days.

I picked her up and brought her right over to the house.  Gave her some fresh water, some milk and a fresh dish of food.  She'd have none of it.  She was very lethargic and wouldn't hardly open her eyes.  My dear sweet Isabel was there, worrying about her and offering her sweet suggestions to help Beauty feel better.  And yet, she knew just like I did, that Beauty was probably not going to make it.  And you know, when Beauty died just a day later, Isabel took the news way better than I did!



Seeing these pictures and remembering how much Izzy loved that cat - my heart breaks.  Up until Shooter and Beauty I'd never had a cat.  I'm not sure if they are all like this - but our two were exceptional!  Both of them tolerated the abundant love my kids would dish out to them.  Heck, Beauty use to meow outside of Isabel's door at night just so we'd open it up and allow her to sleep on the bed with her girl.

We will miss you Beauty.  You were a great cat.

1 comment:

mdm said...

So sorry to hear about Beauty's passing. I know she was a very special Cat and will be truly missed.