Monday, July 25, 2011

The Newbies

There is a new rooster on the clover! My sweet husband called around (the very morning we discovered we'd lost Eckerd) and found a rooster that was in need of a new home. The news cheered me up, as he'd hoped, and I was able to set up a pickup time for the following morning.

We were still deep in the heart of the ranch campout, and our cousins had come in during the wee hours of the morning. So I had planned to set off at 7am so I wouldn't disturb anyone and I'd hopefully be back by the time everyone was starting to wake up. But, to my delight, my sister-in-law Erin and her boy Benji were awake and wanted to join me on my trip!

So, we loaded up both dog boxes (in the back of the van - AGAIN!) and set off. Why two dog boxes for one rooster? I'll explain in a minute....

The drive wasn't long this time. Luckily our destination was fairly close to our ranch. We piled out of the van and were greeted by the NICEST lady I have ever met. She opened her her 30 acres to us and let us meet and greet all of her animals. It was fantastic! In addition to the rooster, she had offered to give us 6 laying hens! And since we were taking the rooster - we were offered his two duck buddies as well. I couldn't say no. In fact, I am pretty sure I am incapable of ever turning down the offer to house an animal. :) I just love them too much!

Anyway, she also had a few Guinea Hens and some Bantam chickens she wanted to send with us - but I simply didn't have the room in the van. Taking those would require the coop she was offering to send with us also..... So, we agreed I'd come back in 2 weeks to pick up the rest of the gang! ;-) I told you I couldn't say 'no!'

Back at the ranch, everyone was up and trying to wait patiently for the new arrivals to show up. As soon as we drove in, a flock of children and adults circled the van!

The ducks were an instant hit! They are terribly social and hilarious! They roamed around the ranch that first day - checking things out (mostly the kiddie pool) and quacking happily as they paraded around and around the yard.

Click & Quack the Quacker Brothers

The chickens went straight to the coop so they could start acclimatizing to their new ranch. The kids thought it was so exciting to have full size chickens in the coop! I have to say though, they look ridiculous in there! The coop was the perfect size for a mini Eckerd and the 4 hens we are still raising up - but our new rooster is a big boy! Not to mention his 6 girls! I think the plan is to build them a new home here in the coming weeks, and then put our 4 hens into the current coop. But for now - they are happy! They have even started laying for us! We have harvested 6 eggs from them!!! JL and James enjoyed a couple this past Sunday morning ;-)



The girls



The diaper is for cushioning! ;-)

The big man on campus has been given the name Rooster Cogburn. He's beautiful - but I have to say.... He is not an Eckerd replacement. I think the fact that Cogburn has his own hens to manage makes him less social to the rest of us. Whereas Eckerd didn't have hens to bond with - he used us! :) But maybe that's ok. I probably shouldn't let myself get so attached to this bunch. Life on the ranch is hard. Especially if you are a bird!

But I'm happy to report the quiet is gone. The chickens are foraging in the yard and Cogburn has a beautiful crow.

2 comments:

Stephanie T said...

Seriously Lisa, you guys crack me up! What Hot Chicks you have:-)

And if you are looking for another dog, we are actually trying get Phoebe another home this week. She was so sad when we came back home. So Ken is trying to find her a family before we leave again.

Stephanie T said...

Oh my goodness, it totally worked! I could leave a comment. What was going on?