Monday, December 5, 2011

Out with the BLUE

This past weekend was project weekend on the ranch. We started things off by putting Christmas lights up on the house! This is something JL and I have never done. In all our years of marriage, we have never put lights on any roof. But, this being our perfect place, the ranch happens to have a really easy roof to access. It isn't too high, it isn't too steep - it's just right. So, much to my kids (and my) delight - the lights are up and beautiful!

Next, we replaced that icky old (and totally ugly) blue cabinet pulls in the kitchen. This project has been on my radar even before we moved in. I just did not jive with the existing knobs. For one, they fell off ALL the time. And you know what bounces better than a rubber ball? A blue cabinet knob that hits the tile from a high place. Those suckers bounce and bounce and bounce! For another, they were super LONG so they stuck off the cabinet face about 2 inches! And what was between the knob and the cabinet for those two inches? A really tarnished inch of BRASS! EEK! And lastly, they were so old and worn, most of them were loose and wobbly and pulling free from the cabinet.

So I hit the home improvement store for some inspiration. 20 minutes later, I was back home and the blue was on its way out! An hour after that - the project was done and I was one happy kitchen owner. I love the new knobs. They are more my style, tight, and they feel solid when I open my cabinets. HUGE improvement, if you ask me







After the knobs, we hung curtains (finally!) in the living room! The pictures aren't that great, but you can get a hint of what they look like. I'll try to take some better pictures once this weather clears out a little bit and we get a bright, sunny day.



Once the curtains were hung, we did a little of this:


And it is possible we ended the day with a little of this:

2 comments:

mdm said...

Love your new Knobs--makes your Kitchen look totally new and fantastic. Love the picture of the family enjoying the Tree while you make your famous Chocolate Chip Cookies. What a great day!

Kellie said...

Way to get some projects done! The ranch and animals and kids all look great. Miss you guys.