Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Planting Time

Last week was Spring break. JL was able to take some time off work, so we decided to have a staycation and do a few chores around the ranch.

We'd been talking about putting up a screen on plants along our back fence. Something to help drown out the neighbors and what little light peeks through the fence. So, we purchased 6 Wax Myrtle bushes. We also picked up a few Leland Cypress Trees. They look like little mini Christmas tress - and they have to be my favorite find of the season. (I am seeing decorations going up on them right around December time... hehe) Plus, they make an excellent screen and are suppose to grow fast!

In addition to the screen, I wanted a bit of color added to the front of the house. I chose 2 Red Buds to flank the front gate. I can't wait until they grow a bit so the entrance can be showered in pink color! JL also picked him up a Pecan tree. Never can have too many of those.

Our project. Seems like an easy task, but have you ever dug in TX soil?

It is mostly ROCK! Solid limestone! There is about 2 inches of dirt and then plates of rock. JL was out there doing his best to bust up the rocks (see them piled to the right of the plant? Those are the SMALL ones!)

While I supervised, I took the opportunity to take this lovely picture of our grass! I told you we had some. :)

I wasn't the only one that noticed this lush patch...

Buffy, back on her feet and taking advantage of the green food.

The beautiful part of the week was having James home from school. What an amazing help he was! He was outside with JL EVERY day! With his shovel and his work gloves. Ready and willing to help with every plant!

Here they are putting in my sage. Did I forget to mention we had 2 of those also?

By day 2, the boys were putting in planting soil and applying root stimulator. This was probably one of James' favorite parts. He loved the pile of dirt!

I'm so pleased with what we got done. Now we just need the rain to continue and hopefully things will start to take off!

Me and Big Wy helped out by delivering dirt and shovels! :)

2 comments:

Stephanie T said...

Great Planting! I'm so jealous. I was going to plant strawberries and a bunch of seeds and then it was the tornado and flood warning. I need to get out and do it tomorrow.

mdm said...

You guys are so good at getting planned projects done. Love the pics of James helping Dad and the one of you and Wyatt doing your John Deere thing! You guys make work look way too fun!!!!