Thursday, June 16, 2011

On Duty

Fergus has surprised me. I worried about him before the move. We had to keep him in the kennel so he wouldn't dig and as the months of trying to sell wore on, I stressed that he wouldn't live to see the ranch.

Thankfully, he made the move with us. And now, after just a short time, he's starting to be the young dog again!

He spends most of his time (especially in this HEAT!) on the porch. He lays by his water dish and watches. Keeping an eye peeled for any movement. Neither a squirrel or a rabbit or a bird dare show their face while Fergus is on watch. If he's awake - he'll muster the energy for a good chase!



I love to drive up or walk up to the house and see Fergus' head pop up from behind the bushes. Always in my mind, ranches had a good dog laying on the porch. On duty and ready to defend their turf.

Something surprising about Fergus as a ranch dog is his loyalty. I call it that, but really it's probably just age and a hint of laziness! I can leave the front gate open for hours and he wont' stray. Pancho (on the other hand) watches for it to be left open so he can go on an adventure! Apparently, 5 acres isn't enough for him! Fergus will just sit perched on the porch. Waiting for a visitor to lick to death.

2 comments:

Erin Jeanne said...

I just love that old dog! he has been sooo good right from a puppy! I am sooo glad he is loving the ranch!

mdm said...

Fergus is such a beautiful and faithful dog. Glad he made the move and loves the ranch. He looks great on the porch and makes a wonderful "watch dog." Both he and Pancho are two lucky canines--with a great owner and 5 acres to roam (or not)! P.S.--love your Ranch Anthem.